Alaska Communications' Summer of Heroes is a partnership program between Alaska Communications and Boys & Girls Clubs - Alaska
to promote awareness and support for youth development programs throughout the state.
that youth who are engaged in community service tend to do better in school, avoid risky behaviors, and maintain positive relationships with adults and peers. As part of the Summer of Heroes, Alaska Communications is working with Boys & Girls Clubs – Alaska to recognize five outstanding young heroes, plus one hero from the Employee Program, who are making a difference in their local communities.
DO YOU KNOW A YOUNG LOCAL HERO IN YOUR COMMUNITY? HELP US RECOGNIZE THOSE WHO GIVE BACK BY NOMINATING THEM AS A HERO!
A hero can be any Alaska resident between the ages of 6 and 18 who is making a positive difference in his or her community. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following types of efforts:
- Volunteering or raising funds for a cause
- Making a difference in school through education or sports
- Making a significant contribution to his or her community
- Inspiring others to take action
Official Nomination Period
May 1-July 15, 2014
Nomination period closes at 5 p.m. AKDT on Tuesday, July 15
Any youth who meet the criteria above can self-nominate or be nominated by someone they know. This could be a parent, guardian, sibling, teacher, coach, mentor, friend or anyone who has a relationship with the child and believes they should be recognized as a local hero.
All nominations must be submitted by 5 p.m. AKDT on July 15, 2014 via:
- This form, or
- In person at an Alaska Communications retail store, or
- In person at a Boys & Girls Clubs – Alaska Clubhouse, or
- Email completed PDF to SummerofHeroes@acsalaska.com
- The PDF version of the nomination form, which can be filled out and/or printed, can be downloaded here.
Alaska Communications and Boys & Girls Clubs – Alaska will select five outstanding local heroes, and one Employee Program hero, based on their nomination forms and short answer responses. The selected heroes will receive:
- A trip to the celebratory dinner and recognition ceremony on Aug. 23 and 24. The trip includes roundtrip airfare and accommodations for one child and one parent or guardian.
- A $1,500 scholarship